The British Canoeing advanced sea kayak leader award was formerly known as the 5 Star sea kayak leader award.
The title changed in 2017, although the training and assessment content remains the same.
Venue: Anglesey North Wales
Course Fee: £350
5-9 May 2018 (5 days) – FULL
5-9 Sept 2018 (5 days) – SPACES
14-18 Nov 2018 (5 days) – SPACES
All courses include Open Water Navigation & Tidal Planning Training
Coach: Student ratio – 1: 4
Kayak Essentials is a non-residential course provider – we can recommend Anglesey Outdoors, an accommodation provider on Anglesey:
The centre offers excellent options in an ideal location, just one mile from Holyhead. Accommodation options include private rooms, bunkhouse, camping and yurts.
There is a friendly bar on site, with catered options available – and a drying room.
We meet training / assessment groups at Anglesey Outdoors at the start of each day, unless specifically stated otherwise at the time of booking. If our clients are not staying at Anglesey Outdoors, we will meet at alternative locations in the local area – please contact us at the time of booking for advice.
You are welcome to choose alternative accommodation in the local area. Please contact us for advice on the available options.
This intensive 5-day course covers all elements of the British Canoeing advanced sea kayak leadership award.
Why cram the training into a hurried weekend? This course allows time to properly address key areas of personal skills, leadership, safety & rescue and trip planning/navigation.
The training programme will be tailored to the weather and tidal conditions of the week and will include:
• Personal skills training to develop boat handling skills in more challenging conditions – training venues will include exposure to wind and waves, tide races and/or surf conditions
• Practical leadership training – strategies for different groups and situations; leadership tools for more challenging coastal environments; group management in more advanced journeys; incident management
• Problem avoidance/solving – safety and rescue training in more challenging conditions; more advanced sea states, tide races, surf zones
• Trip planning and navigation skills – this 5-day course will include the British Canoeing open water navigation & tidal planning course
• Night navigation/group leadership exercise
This course will develop your skills and experience in a wide variety of sea kayaking situations.
If you are planning to complete the advanced sea kayak leader award, we will work with you to create an agreed action plan for a successful future assessment.
This training week is also an excellent course for any sea kayaker wishing to develop their independence, safety and leadership experience.
Previous experience: you must be at the standard and experience of the British Canoeing moderate water sea kayak leader award.