The British Canoeing advanced sea kayak leader award was formerly known as the 5 Star sea kayak leader award.
The title changed in 2017, although the training and assessment content remains the same.
Venue: Anglesey North Wales
Course Fee: £350
7-11 Feb 2018 (5 days)
5-9 May 2018 (5 days)
29 Aug – 2 Sept 2018 (5 days)
31 Oct – 4 Nov 2018 (5 days)
All courses include Open Water Navigation & Tidal Planning Training
Coach: Student ratio – 1: 4
This intensive 5-day course covers all elements of the British Canoeing advanced sea kayak leadership award.
Why cram the training into a hurried weekend? This course allows time to properly address key areas of personal skills, leadership, safety & rescue and trip planning/navigation.
Based from Anglesey Outdoors – www.angleseyoutdoors.com – we make best use of the fantastic North Wales coastline, selecting suitable training venues according to each day’s weather conditions.
You’re free to use whatever accommodation base you prefer – but we will meet at Anglesey Outdoors each morning. The accommodation base offers private rooms, bunkhouse, camping and yurt options – and features its own onsite pub!
The training programme will be tailored to the weather and tidal conditions of the week and will include:
• Personal skills training to develop boat handling skills in more challenging conditions – training venues will include exposure to wind and waves, tide races and/or surf conditions
• Practical leadership training – strategies for different groups and situations; leadership tools for more challenging coastal environments; group management in more advanced journeys; incident management
• Problem avoidance/solving – safety and rescue training in more challenging conditions; more advanced sea states, tide races, surf zones
• Trip planning and navigation skills – this 5-day course will include the British Canoeing open water navigation & tidal planning course
• Night navigation/group leadership exercise
This course will develop your skills and experience in a wide variety of sea kayaking situations.
If you are planning to complete the advanced sea kayak leader award, we will work with you to create an agreed action plan for a successful future assessment.
This training week is also an excellent course for any sea kayaker wishing to develop their independence, safety and leadership experience.
Previous experience: you must be at the standard and experience of the British Canoeing moderate water sea kayak leader award.