2019 dates: 12-16 August
Development of coastal sea kayaking skills in light to moderate winds and tidal waters.
The course will include training for the British Canoeing 3 Star sea kayak award.
This course is ideal for paddlers wishing to gain further experience of coastal sea kayaking skills.
If you have a few days of sea kayak experience, are confident in coastal waters and light winds, and with a desire to develop your skills in wind, waves and tidal waters, this sea kayak development week will meet all your aims.
There’s no need to be able to roll to attend this course. We will include coaching in balancing, bracing and
rolling skills during the week.
Duration: 5 full paddling days
Maximum ratio: 6 students: 1 coach
The course will focus on the following areas of skill development:
- Boat handling skills in sea kayaks – development of forward paddling skills on open water,
turning skills in wind and waves, downwind paddling skills, steering, balancing, bracing, and much more…
- Application of skills in open water sea conditions, in rock gardens, in moving tidal water and
in small breaking waves
- Safe group sea kayaking strategies – including communication, route choice, positioning, avoiding problems
and managing open water challenges
- Safety & rescue techniques in coastal sea conditions – solving common problems
- Coastal navigation skills – weather, tides, surf formation, planning skills, map /chart reading,
using a compass, sources of information
Can I be assessed for the British Canoeing 3 Star sea kayak award?
If you have sufficient experience of coastal sea kayaking before the course, and if you possess the necessary skills,
we will include an assessment for this award during the 5-day course.
We will always provide full coaching in all aspects of the BC 3 Star award for all clients, and will give a clear action plan for developing any outstanding skills, in readiness for a future successful assessment.