The British Canoeing advanced sea kayak leader award was formerly known as the 5 Star sea kayak leader award.
The title changed in 2017, although the training and assessment content remains the same.
Venue: Anglesey North Wales
Duration: 5 days
Coach: Student ratio – 1: 4
Course Fee: £350 – all courses include Open Water Navigation & Tidal Planning Training
7-11 October FULL
28 October – 1 November SPACES
This intensive 5-day course covers all elements of the British Canoeing advanced sea kayak leadership award.
Why cram the training into a hurried weekend? This course allows time to properly address key areas of personal skills, leadership, safety & rescue and trip planning/navigation.
The training programme will be tailored to the weather and tidal conditions of the week and will include:
- Boat handling skill development in more challenging conditions – training venues will include exposure to
wind and waves, tide races and/or surf conditions
- Practical leadership training – strategies for different groups and situations; leadership tools for more challenging coastal environments; group management in more advanced journeys; incident management
- Problem avoidance/solving – safety and rescue training in more challenging conditions; more advanced sea states, tide races, surf zones
- Trip planning and navigation skills – this 5-day course will include the British Canoeing open water navigation
& tidal planning course
- Night navigation/group leadership exercise
This course will develop your skills and experience in a wide variety of sea kayaking situations.
If you are planning to complete the advanced sea kayak leader award, we will work with you to create an agreed
action plan for a successful future assessment.
Further information is available on the British Canoeing website
This training week is also an excellent course for any sea kayaker wishing to develop their independence,
safety and leadership experience.
Previous experience: you must be at the standard and experience of the British Canoeing sea kayak leader
(moderate water) award – confident in onshore sea conditions of Bft. Force 4+
Contact Us for further advice on your readiness to attend this training course.
To reserve a course place, follow the link to our Online Booking Form