This intensive 5-day training course covers all elements of the British Canoeing Advanced Sea Kayak Leadership award, and includes BC Open Water Navigation training.
Venue: Anglesey North Wales
Duration: 5 days
Coach: Student ratio: 1: 4
Course Fee: £380
2021 Course Dates:
3-7 May – FULL
26-30 July – 1 SPACE LEFT
23-27 August – 1 SPACE LEFT
4-8 October – 1 SPACE LEFT
25-29 October – 1 SPACE LEFT
All courses include:
- 1:4 maximum coaching ratio
- BC Open Water Navigation & Tidal Planning training
- BC Advanced Sea Kayak Leader Training
- optional assessment for BC Advanced Sea Kayak award (PPA)
- world-class Anglesey sea kayaking environment
- excellent pre- & post-course online coaching resources
To reserve a course place, follow the link to our Nick’s Online Booking Form.
OUR COVID GUARANTEE
Book any course with us, confident that we will provide a 100% course fee refund, at any time and in all circumstances.
If you’re unable to attend for any reason, or if we are required to postpone a course, we will return your course fee in full.
If attending a 2021 Kayak Essentials coaching course, please read our 2021 Risk Assessment / Safety Policy.
From 2021, British Canoeing no longer require a formal training course prior to a sea kayak leader assessment- course attendance is therefore optional. We will provide an excellent training experience that will develop your sea kayak leadership skills, regardless of any future assessment goals.
We will explore group management skills most relevant to your background and experience, and will ensure that you are well prepared for a British Canoeing leader assessment.
Why cram your training goals into a hurried weekend? This course allows time to properly address key areas of personal skills, leadership, safety & rescue and trip planning/navigation.
The training programme will be tailored to the weather and tidal conditions of the week and will include:
- Boat handling skill development in more challenging conditions – training venues will include exposure to
wind and waves, tide races and/or surf conditions
- Practical leadership training – strategies for different groups and situations; leadership tools for more challenging coastal environments; group management in more advanced journeys; incident management
- Problem avoidance/solving – safety and rescue training in more challenging conditions; more advanced sea states, tide races, surf zones
- Trip planning and navigation skills – this 5-day course will include the British Canoeing open water navigation
& tidal planning course
- Night navigation/group leadership exercise
This course will develop your skills and experience in a wide variety of sea kayaking situations.
If you are planning to complete the advanced sea kayak leader award, we will work with you to create an agreed
action plan for a successful future assessment.
Further information is available on the British Canoeing website
This training week is also an excellent course for any sea kayaker wishing to develop their independence,
safety and leadership experience.
You must be a confident and capable sea kayaker in sea conditions of Bft. Force 4+ / tidal streams 2kts+ and related sea conditions.
Contact Us for further advice on your readiness to attend this training course.
To reserve a course place, follow the link to our Nick’s Online Booking Form